In order to setup a wireless router, you should follow the instructions given by the router manufacturer. The instructions will be provided in printed format as well as in a compact disc. It is possible to download the software from the internet as well.
In order to setup wireless router, you should have necessary hardware. The hardware includes appropriate router, wireless network adapter, a computer with wired network adapter and a network cable (Ethernet cable).
Selection of router
As the computer technology is being advanced at a great pace, you should want to go for a network device which can be used for the coming 2 to 5 years without any issues. If you are going to use with a PC, the router’s compatibility with the OS should be verified. You should be aware of the network technology also so that the setup will be very much simplified.
Some other factors that you should verify include speed and technology, warranty information, cost, reviews and user comments. If there are any drawbacks with the router, they can be traced very easily with user reviews. The support offered by the manufacturer also can be noticed so that you will go for the best router as per your needs.
Steps to setup the router manually
In order to connect the router without using any support software, you should connect the wireless router to the modem by using an Ethernet cable.
- The wireless router should be connected to the power source. If you wait for one minute, the router will be fully operational.
- The wireless router should be connected to the computer using an Ethernet cable.
- You should logon to the router page by opening a browser in your desktop or laptop. The IP address of the router should be entered in the browser. You can find the IP address of the router in the documentation provided by the manufacturer. In most of the cases, the router IP address will be 192.168.2.1 or 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1
- You should enter the network user name and password to setup the network with which you will be able to access the network. The default username for most of the routers will be ‘admin’. The default password will be either ‘admin’ or ‘password’. You can find the information in the documentation.
- You will get access to the configuration page. You can provide a network name which is called SSID (Service Set Identifier). The encryption (WPA, WPA2, or WEP) can be selected as per the level of protection. WPA2 is recommended so that the security is very much enhanced.
- You should use a password to access the network so that unauthorized access can be prevented. The password should be secure enough so that it will not be cracked easily. It should be a combination of alphabets, numerals and special characters.
- You should change the administrative password of the router so that others will not be able to access your router page.
- Now, you can disconnect the computer and the router can be accessed wirelessly without any issues.
Router setup using the software
The router should be disconnected from the computer, power source and modem.
The disc should be entered in the PC. You should ensure that you are using the latest disc. If the setup software is outdated, you can download from the manufacturer’s site directly. It is very easy to setup by using the software. The instructions provided on the screen should be followed.
You might want to be connected t the router through the Ethernet cable on a temporary basis. After creating the wireless network name and password, you will be able to connect it wirelessly.
Sharing the internet connection
After configuring the router, you can share the internet connection so that other users will be able to access the internet connection without any issues.
The sharing of internet can be done based on the type of internet connection. You might have access to DSL, Cable or fiber optic connection. You should connect the cable supplied by the broadband service provider to the router.
If you are having a broadband modem, you should connect one end of the Ethernet cable to the modem and the other end should be connected to the router. The cable supplied by the broadband provider should be connected to the modem.
If you manage wired connection, the initial computer should be switched on. On the other hand, you can switch off the initial computer when you go for wireless connection.
While configuring the router, you should not compromise on security issues. You should not connect to an unsecured network as well so that you will be able to protect your information without any issues.